Friday, August 22, 2008

The First Blog

Not sure what this blogging will have in store but I was talked into it and thought how hard could blogging random thoughts be...Guess we will see.

I don't have many blogging friends hopefully more will join but the two I do have on here their blogs are fun to read. One blogs about her children and we all find out time and time again what a wonderful mother she continues to be and my other friend blogs random funniness and I look forward to reading both their blogs daily.

My blog will probably end up being a blog of randomness. I'm goina start my first blog about one of my favorite things to do...diving. I haven't got to go diving this year but it doesn't keep me from wishing we could. I have only been a certified diver for a little over a year now but I do enjoy it so. Last year Jackson and I planned a cruise for our 10 year anniversary. On the cruise he wanted to dive in Cozumel. He however was already certified. So I had to get certified or no cruise. I was very reluctant. All I keep thinking about was what kind of shark was going to eat me...something like this was what I thought would be the death of me:





So needless to say I was a little scared of the whole big ocean dive. But I kept getting told no cruise if I don't dive, well hello I wanted to go on this cruise.

So Cookson, OK here we came. I was enrolled in a 3 day course all by myself. I say all by myself because I didn't know anybody. Luck was on my side and it was a small class and there was a couple getting certified and we became quick friends. First half of the first day was spent in the classroom...learning that the chance of sharks biting you was very slim. Still not convinced it was time for the pool diving. Oh boy here came the wet suit. Now if you've never worn a wet suit let me tell ya it ain't no walk in the park. You have to squeeze yourself into this thing that barely covers half of you when it's NOT on. We all managed to get into them and get our gear on and into the pool we went. You know breathing under water isn't normal. It's to me one of the hardest things to get used to. I of course was the person the instructor got mad at because instead of breathing normal I instead hyperventialted and had to stop. I finally got the hang of it and after we did our many different remove the mask, blow the water out of the mask, etc etc we got to swim around the 13 ft pool. Now we're talkin! So that was it for the first day.

The 2nd day we spent more time in the pool and then after lunch was time to hang with the fish. Lake Tenkiller is a spot divers go because of the 8 ft visability. However last year it was some 30 ft deeper than usual and the visability was more like 3 ft. So our first exercise was to decend down 30 ft holding onto a rope the whole way. Everything is so dirty and boy was it chilly. We made it down there but freaky let me tell ya. This is what it looked like in the water:




So after we swam around this platform at 30 ft we were done for the day.

3rd day was a part play day. We had to learn to use the compass first and then we got to explore the "sunken treasure". There was a bus, plane, boats and probably other stuff. I get the go ahead to go diving with Jackson and his dad. You are always told to keep a buddy. Jackson obviousley would be my chosen buddy. However he forgot that I had no idea where I was going and would get 4 ft away and he was gone. Freaked me out...he'll tell you he never thought he could get chewed out under water until then. :) After he realized to stay near we found a bus. A bus 40 ft down and in only 3 ft of visibility sneaks up on you pertty quick. Freaked me out. This is not normal. We saw the bus, I had enough of that in about 2 seconds and was ready to get away from whatever could come swimming out of the bus...again not normal. So we are swimming along looking at stuff on the bottom and there's all these perch. I hold out my finger and one bites it over and over, so funny. We keep decending deeper and there was a boat on it's side. Jackson motions for me to swim around to the other side and I about lost it. There on the other side was this manican with a white mask on. Needless to say I didn't stay there long. So we were just about out of air and it was time to do our timed ascent to the top. We made it and I passed luckily.


Photobucket

This of course was me before the compass test. :)

The ocean dive is a whole other story...I wasn't eaten by a shark obviousley.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new blog and first post! :)